Historical events and important recurrences during the year
o 1st, 1841 - Gregory XVI, with decree of the Sacred Congregation of Rites, promotes the Office of Saint Philomena to double rite of second class without Octave in her own Church in Mugnano.
o 8th, 1905 - Saint Pius X affirms that “the greatest argument in favour of the cult of Saint Philomena is the Curate of Ars” (cfr. - J.M. Martinez, Luz y fuerza).
o 11th, 1855 - Pius IX, with decree of the Sacred Congregation of Rites, approves and grants to the clergy of Mugnano, the new own Office with its own Mass in honor of Saint Philomena Virgin and Martyr, with double rite of second class.
o 14th, 1896 - Leo XIII grants the Patronage Feast of Saint Philomena.
o 15th, 1857 - Pius IX, with decree of the Sacred Congregation of Rites, on request of Mons. Joseph Formisano Bishop of Nola, extends to the regular and secular clergy of the diocese of Nola the permission to celebrate with double minor rite its own Office with the Mass in honor of Saint Philomena V. and M., already approved and con¬ceded to the clergy of Mugnano and other dioceses.
o 30th, 1837 - Gregory XVI solemnly approves the decree of the Sacred Congregation of Rites of September 6, 1834, with which it was granted to the secular and regular clergy of the Diocese of Nola to recite on August 11 the Office with the Mass de Comm. Virg. Et Mart., primo loco with the fourth Lesson in honour of Saint Philomena V. and M.
o 31st, 1866 - the Abbot Monnin, one of the greatest experts of the Curate of Ars’ life, visits the Sanctuary in Mugnano and celebrates the Mass at the Saint’s altar
February. There are no events.
o 15th, 1826 - Leo XII, with decree of the Sacred Congregation of Rites, grants the authorization to celebrate only the solemn Mass of “de Communi Virginum et Mart.” on the day of the feast of Saint Philomena in her Sanctuary in Mugnano del Cardinale, as long as it was not on a fixed Sunday, which would necessitate double Office of first class.
o 16th, 1965 - the devoted Mary Mulcahy, received a private audience by Paul VI, and handed to him approximately six thousands requests of the Irish faithful asking to reconsider the decree of 1961.
o 23rd, 1965 - The Secretary of State,His Holiness Pope Paul VI informs Miss Mulcahy that the Pope has passed on to the Sacred Congregation of Rites the petition made by the Irish devotees for a re-examination of the decree of 1961.
o 2nd, 1859 - the Curate of Ars, to find the funds required to build the Basilica in honor of Saint Philomena, wrote - “I shall pray to the good God for those who will help me build a nice church for Saint Philomena. Jean Vianney, Curate of Ars”. The church was completed in 1881, after the Curate’s death.
o 9th, 1847 - the death of Don Francis De Lucia.
o 11th, 1835 - Queen Marie Christine of Savoy, with her husband Ferdinand II, King of Naples, came to Mugnano to beg for the grace of fertility.
o 16th, 1839 - Gregory XVI,. with decree of the Sacred Congregation of Rites, grants the clergy of Mugnano the authorization to recite the Office of Saint Philomena V. and M. on her feast with double major rite.
o 21st, 1912 - Pope Pius X extends to the whole Church the Archconfraternity of Saint Philomena.
o 24th, 1802 - the finding by the fossors in Rome of a tomb in Priscilla’s Catacombs with martyrdom symbols. The communication of its discovery to Don Philip Ludovici, second caretaker of the catacombs. The tomb contained bones and a vial with some blood. It was sealed by three stones bearing the writing - “Pax Tecum Filumena” and the representation of the martyrdom symbols - the anchor, the arrows, the palm, and the lily.
o 25th, 1802 - the finding of the body of Saint Philomena in Priscilla’s Catacombs, in the presence of Don Philip Ludovici and many more witnesses.
o 31st, 1835 - Mons. Anselmo Basilici visits the Sanctuary in Mugnano and gives the Rector Don Francis De Lucia the certificate of the multiplication of Saint Philomena’s relics.
o 1843, month of May - miraculous healing of Saint John Marie Vianney, Curate of Ars.
o 1843, month of May - miraculous healing in Ars of an ecclesiastic of Moulins, suffering from consump¬tion disease in its last stage.
o 6th, 1907 - Pope Pius X, receiving the Abbot Louis Petit, affirms - “The great argu¬ment in favour of Saint Philomena is the Curate of Ars.”
o 8th, 1805 - donation of the body of Saint Philomena to Mons. Bartolomeo De Cesare, who in turn donated it to his friend, Don Francis De Lucia.
o 9th, 1896 - Bartolo Longo and his consort visit the Sanctuary. The Blessed Bartolo Longo serves the mass on the altar of the Saint.
o 14th, 1906 - Pope Pius X personally writes a blessing for the members of the Work of Saint Philomena.
o 16th, 1835 - Pope Gregory XVI receives Mons. Anselmo Basilici, who updates him on the miracles of Saint Philomena and especially about the multiplication of the relics.
o 17th, 1835 - the Vice Prefect of the Congregation of Rites examines the miracle of the relics' multiplication. The result is positive. The miracle is officially verified.
o 30th, 1805 - Episcopal consecration in Rome of Mons. Bartolomeo De Cesare, newly appointed Bishop of Potenza, thanks to whose intercession through Pope Pius VII, Don Francis De Lucia received in donation the relics of Saint Philomena.
o 1st, 1805 - Don Francis De Lucia and the Bishop Bartolomeo De Cesare leave Rome taking with them the sacred remains of Saint Philomena.
o 2nd, 1805 - The sacred remains of Saint Philomena arrive in Naples, they are received in the house of the bookseller Antonio Terres.
o 21st, 1827 - Pope Leo XII donates to the Sanctuary of Saint Philomena the three slabs that sealed the tomb of Saint Philomena. On August 4th these are displayed for public veneration.
o 9th, 1836 - building of the chapel at Saint Gervais in Paris in honour of Saint Philomena.
o 10th, 1805 - transfer of the relics of Saint Philomena to Mugnano del Cardinale.
o 10th, 1835 - healing of Pauline Jaricot, founder of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith and of the Living Rosary.
o 11th, 1823 - sweating of the statue of Saint Philomena donated to the Sanctuary by Cardinal Louis Ruffo Scilla.
o 1814 - healing of the lawyer Alexander Serio and prodigy of the miraculously repaired crack in the altar marble.
o 1872 - first national pilgrimage to Ars and La Salette, promoted by the Abbot Thédenat.
o 6th, 1834 - Gregory XVI grants permission to sing the Mass even on a Sunday, as long as the feast falls on August 10th, day of the Translation of the Saint’s body.
o 9th, 1886 - Leo XIII approves the patronage feast for Saint Philomena (January 14).
o 19th, 1772 - birth of Don Francis De Lucia.
o 19th, 1796 - ordination of Don Francis De Lucia.
o 11th, 1846 - healing of the novice Monestrol, of the Order of Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat, by intercession of Saint Philomena.
o 24th, 1889 - Leo XIII grants France the title and privilege of Archconfraternity for the work of Saint Philomena.
o 25th, 1983 - Don Giovanni Braschi joins the Sanctuary of Saint Philomena as Rector.
o 29th, 1805 - definitive translation of the sacred relics to St. Philomena’s chapel in Our Lady of Grace in Mugnano.
o 1871 - the Abbot Thédenat, of the dioceses of Paris, received the inspiration to start the movement of the national French pilgrimages to Ars and to Our Lady of Salette (fig. 25) while praying on the tomb of the Venerable J.M. Vianney, in proximity of the altar of Saint Philomena.
o 16th, 1887 - Leo XIII blessed the flag that Father Louis Petit used in the pilgrimages to Paray le Monial, Ars and La Salette.
o 7th, 1849 - Pius IX goes to the Sanctuary of Mugnano to celebrate Mass on the altar of the Saint.
o 1854 - Pius IX, on request of Ferdinand II, King of Naples, proclaims Saint Philomena Second Patroness of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, after Saint Januarius.
o 29th, 1963 - the archaeologist, Jesuit Father Anthony Ferrua, re-examines positively the epitaph on the tomb of the Saint.
o 1833 - miraculous healing of the dying Franciscan sister Mary Jesualda Garelli.
o 9th, 1859 - Pius IX, with Brief Pontificate, grants temporarily to the Rector of the Sanctu-ary of Saint Philomena in Mugnano the privilege to use the pontifical insignias to accomplish all the sacred functions in the Sanctuary.
o 15th, 1883 - Leo XIII approves the pious practice of the Blessed Cord of Saint Philomena and grant indulgences to whoever carries it.
o 21st, 1833 - Imprimatur (Publication) of the Holy Office to the “Revelations” of Sister Marie Louise of Jesus.
o 25th, 1970 - the periodical “La Campana (The Bell)” printing organ of the Diocese of Nola carries the article of November 29, 1963, written by the Jesuit Fr. Anthony Ferrua, in which the results of the re-examination of the epitaph on the tomb of the Saint are detailed.