The Universal Archconfraternity of Saint Philomena, Philomenian Family in the World, is an international movement of faithful that, through the devotion to our Martyr, promotes love to Jesus and Mary. The single Centers, through their local autonomy, promote the devotion to the Saint and are of support to the Sanctuary.
The Confraternity of Saint Philomena was promoted to the rank of Archconfraternity by Pope Leo XIII.
On January 15, 1912, Pope Pius X renewed his blessing to the Work of Saint Philomena with the following touching words, "For the beloved members of the Archconfraternity of Saint Philomena and of the Blessed Jean Marie Vianney, with the fervent wish that, for the intercession of the One or the Other, our Lord will be prodigal with his greatest graces for all. We cordially send the Apostolic Blessing.
"To authoritatively and definitely affirm the devotion of Saint Philomena, and put an end to some pointless discussions, on 21 May 1912 Saint Pius X promoted the venerable Archconfraternity of Saint Philomena to Universal Archconfraternity, through the Apostolic Brief "PiasFideliumSocietates", in which he clearly explained,
"We decree that the following scripture shall be stable, valid and effective, now and always and that it shall receive and obtain its full and whole effects, and so it has to be regularly judged and defined, and if it proceeds in any other way, it will be null and without any value, whatever the authority..."
The Work of the Universal Archconfraternity of Saint Philomena continues with the Sanctuary of Mugnano the site of the Spiritual Headquarters to all other worldwide Centers, the promotion of the devotion to the Saint and the support of all the work connected to it. May 21st 2012 saw the addition of an Operational Headquarters for the Universal Archconfraternity of St Philomena based in Scotland, under the direction of Marie Burns, Director General. This handles all of the practical work connected to running a large organization, in order that the Sanctuary remains concentrating on the Spiritual work.
The Rector of the Sanctuary of Saint Philomena in Mugnano del Cardinale is normally the Spiritual Director of the whole Universal Archconfraternity of Saint Philomena and he or his Bishop is the Honorary President of the same. The Spiritual Director or Rector of the Sanctuary will nominate the Director, this appointment is permanent.
The Work or Universal Archconfraternity of Saint Philomena is a prayer and apostolate association which proposes:
• The life commitment to Christ’s Gospel, based on Saint Philomena’s example, and the spreading of her devotion.
• To involve the highest possible number of people in the apostolic purposes, which the Popes Leo XII and Pius X have recommended, under the patronage of Saint Philomena and the Cure of Ars.
• Christian education for children and teenagers.
• Praying for vocations and sanctifications of the clergy.
The Review and Addition of the Aims in 2007
These aims of the Archconfraternity are very simple and the principle objective is to save souls:
• We aim to introduce others to St. Philomena in order for her to lead all souls to Our Blessed Mother and to the Holy Trinity: The Father, Son & Holy Spirit. We place in St. Philomena the purpose of the Conversion of all Souls and the promotion of The Culture of Life. We do this by announcing this wonder working Saint to the world. She will take all to Jesus through Mary.
• We aim to help inform others how important St. Philomena is today with her message of Heroic Christian Purity. She is the Saint of our modern times who has been kept hidden in the catacombs until the world needed her most.
• We aim to have St. Philomena publicly venerated and recognized. We do this through devotion in our Churches: novenas, mass and prayer circles. Also by promoting via media coverage and Websites.
• We aim to encourage membership to the Archconfraternity.
• We aim to inform others of the Sanctuary of Saint Philomena. We do this by issuing the address, web site, phone number of the Sanctuary on all promotional material. We also do this by organizing pilgrimages to the Sanctuary.
By doing all of this we become spiritually connected with each other through the union of membership of the Archconfraternity. We become a strong force of spirituality throughout the world in this modern time of lack of belief in God.